Take one scroll through Instagram and it’s easy to fall into a social media–fueled rabbit hole of comparison. How on earth are her eyelashes so long? While we’ve all faced these questions, few of us have actually come up with a solution to growing ultra-plush lashes. Instead, we find ourselves gluing on falsies and hoping the camera doesn’t pick up on our little secret. As gorgeous as these additions might look, at the end of the day they can take quite a toll. For that reason, we figured it was about time to find a lash solution once and for all.
To understand our lashes a little bit better, we reached out to Faith Kim, lash expert and founder of LashFOOD. Here, she talks about the top reasons our eyelashes fall out and shared some tips on how we can switch up our habits to help get longer and healthier eyelashes.
5 Reasons Your Eyelashes Are Falling Out
According to Kim, there are various factors for eyelash fallout. “There are many reasons why eyelashes can fall out—from environmental stress to consistent use of some mascaras to bad eyelash extensions,” she explains. “Eyelashes also fall out naturally depending on the lash growth cycle.” Let’s break those reasons down one by one.
1. It’s part of your lashes’ growth cycle.
Like the hair on your head, eyelashes naturally fall off and regrow with time. In our chat with Kim, she explained that, typically, the upper lid has 90–150 lashes and they’re all in different growth cycles at any given time. “Anagen is the growth phase, catagen is the transition phase and telogen is the resting phase before the lashes fall out,” says Kim. “While all lashes are at different phases, it typically takes four to eight weeks to fully replace an eyelash.” So, before you start panicking about the state of your lashes, take the time to give your lashes a chance to grow before jumping to the worst conclusion.
2. You’re getting older.
The same way your skin and hair deteriorates over time, so do your lashes. The older you get, the more your lashes fall out. While it’s not the best side effect of age, it’s certainly not the worst. And, with the right products and care, there are ways to grow longer eyelashes. It’s all a process but it’s totally doable.
3. Your mascara is to blame.
Did your mom ever warn you that if you don’t wash your face and mascara, your lashes will eventually fall out? Turns out moms are almost always right. “Mascaras, especially waterproof mascara, are incredibly drying which makes your lashes brittle and weak causing breakage,” says Kim. “What’s more, these particular mascaras can be especially difficult to remove, which can lead to even more eyelash loss.”
And it’s not just your mascara. Kim said that removing your strip lashes incorrectly, picking at the last remaining eyelash-extensions survivors or using lash curlers too aggressively can affect your lashes’ growth.
4. You don’t take care of your lash extensions.
So you’ve taken the lash extensions route. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing for your lashes, aftercare is crucial and often neglected. Kim suggests seeing a good eyelash-extensions professional and pairing extensions with a natural lash enhancer that will strengthen and condition them. “The LASHFOOD team consists of women who only wear mascara, a few who can’t leave the house without lash strips and many [who] are addicted to lash extensions. Everyone is diligent about their aftercare and uses our Phyto-Medic Eyelash Enhancer as a part of their nighttime routine. Our lash enhancer was formulated specifically for the lash-extension wearer in mind. It is designed to not only lengthen the natural lash but also strengthen them as well. Stronger lashes = longer lash-extension retention.”
5. Stress is taking a toll.
Whether environmental or personal, your body, your lashes in particular, can sense it. As a result, they fall out. Your body could become stressed due to hormonal imbalances that could lead to fallout, or perhaps you’re so stressed that you develop trichotillomania, an anxiety-induced condition similar to biting your nails, where you subconsciously pull at your lashes or brows, thus resulting in loss.
How to Get Longer Lashes
Now that you know the reasons your lashes might be falling out, let’s discuss some of the ways you can help grow your eyelashes.
1. Use a Non-Irritating Eyelash EnhancerSmartFX SmartLash Eyelash Enhancer is a non-irritating lash enhancement gem completely transforms the appearance of your lashes. If you desire a lash line that looks thick, long and full, SmartLash is the formula for you. The prostaglandin-free blend frees you from the harsh side effects of other lash enhancement products. Results may be seen in as little as thirty days! Also beneficial for brow enhancement.In self-assessments of 30 women using product as part of their daily routine:* * 93% reported satisfaction with the appearance of fullness and length of their eyelashes after 28 days ofBuy now with free delivery
2. Stock Up on Conditioning Primersjane iredale PureLash Extender and Conditioner nourishes and enhances dull, sparse or fine lashes with a volumizing boost of active botanicals. Panthenol stimulates and soothes, while sweet almond extract provides antioxidant-rich hydration that creates an optimal environment for lash growth. Wheat protein thickens and lengthens each shaft from root-to-tip.Key Benefits: * Enhances the appearance of thickness and length of lashes when used as a primer for mascara. * Allows you to use less mascara. * Can be used on eyebrows and worn alone at nighttime as a lashBuy now with free delivery
3. If You Must Use Fake Eyelashes, Make Sure They're High QualityBuy now with free delivery
Let’s face it: Falsies are a godsend—especially if you’re looking to dramatically lengthen your lashes without the wait time. But not all falsies are created equal. Some lower-quality brands use heavier materials that can weigh your natural lashes down, while some use undesirable ingredients in the glue, like formaldehyde. For best results, look for a product that is lightweight and latex-free.
Try: Tarte Cosmetics Tarteist PRO Cruelty-Free Lashes – Flirt
4. Use Waterproof Mascara SparinglyBuy now with free delivery
As you can imagine, waterproof mascara isn’t exactly conditioning. Instead, it’s geared toward drying onto your lashes in such a way to adhere without any chance of slippage. While that might be great for a day at the beach, it’s not so ideal for everyday use. That’s why we love this volumizing mascara from BY TERRY. Enriched with protective ingredients like jojoba, olive and avocado oils, this product lengthens lashes and prevents breakage.
Try: BY TERRY Lash-Expert Twist Brush Mascara
5. Remove Mascara Completely Before BedEminence Organic Skin Care Herbal Eye Makeup Remover gently removes stubborn eye makeup with ease, revealing clean, conditioned skin. Formulated with calendula, this pH-balanced, natural makeup remover cleanses and disinfects, as chamomile and lavender sooth irritation. Vitamin E-rich comfrey hydrates and improves the look of skin's elasticity. Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free, andBuy now with free delivery
6. Eat More Hair-Healthy FoodsMatrix 5000 - Vitamins for Hair by Elon is a dietary supplement specially designed to help you grow out stronger and healthier hair and nails. Combining a high level of biotin with two other nail and hair enhancers, silicone dioxide and l-cysteine, this essential vitamin is perfect for those with dry, brittle and weak hair andBuy now with free delivery