Our main makeup focus is usually the face, but there are times when body foundation can come in handy. From tattoos and visible veins to body acne, bruises, stretch marks and more, body makeup can provide complete coverage that helps keep virtually anything under wraps from the neck down.
While laser-based treatments are the only thing that can eliminate pigment permanently, you can get complete, natural-looking coverage for up to 16 hours, whether your goal is concealing for a special event or keeping lingering ink out of sight.
An accident or surgery can leave you with a scar that’s a long-lasting reminder of an unpleasant past life event—or serve as affirmation that you’ve overcome a significant challenge. Scars come in many shapes, sizes and colors, but if you want to conceal this part of your personal history (even if just for a day), full-coverage products (literally) have you covered.
Veins, stretch marks and bruises
Skin imperfections such as leg veins, bruises and stretch marks are no fault of your own, but that doesn’t mean you have to share them with the world. Thankfully, you can wear shorts, skirts, dresses and bathing suits confidently with natural-looking, transfer-resistant, complete coverage.
Often referred to as “chicken skin,” keratosis pilaris is a common skin condition that causes bumps and visible redness on the backs of the arms. Whether you’re currently taking steps to address this skin condition or just want to forget about it for a day (or night), products formulated for the body are your answer.
If you struggle with body acne, any cover-up options you turn to shouldn’t make matters worse. Body makeup can effectively obscure blemishes without clogging pores, so you can heal, conceal and prevent future breakouts at the same time.
Tips and Tricks:
You can boost your body foundation’s staying power with these tips from Dermablend’s pro makeup artists:
- Use a tapping or stippling motion (and avoid rubbing) when blending to prevent smudging.
- Allow body foundation to dry fully before applying setting powder, especially if you’re using multiple layers.
- For an instant self-tanner effect (especially on the legs), opt for a product that’s one to two shades deeper than your natural skin color.
- No time to hit the gym? Body makeup can be used for creating the illusion of muscle definition and other body contouring.
- If skin gets wet while wearing body foundation, gently blot to dry—don’t rub.
Two of our favorites below from Dermablend offer dermatologist- and sensitive skin-tested body-makeup options that provide long-lasting, smudge-, transfer- and water-resistant wear (when applied properly).
Buy now with free delivery
Ideal for smaller areas and tattoos, this creamy stick glides on smoothly and blends easily—and is available in 10 shades.
- Step 1: Use short strokes to apply over the target area.
- Step 2: Tap to build coverage to the desired level, then blend edges into surrounding skin.
- Step 3: For 16-hour wear, apply a generous amount of Loose Setting Powder and leave on for two to five minutes before gently buffing off excess.
Buy now with free delivery
This hydrating liquid body foundation offers complete, buildable coverage for larger areas along with SPF 25, and is available in 12 shades.
- Step 1: Apply in long strokes in the direction of hair growth.
- Step 2: Use a tapping motion with a makeup sponge to blend and allow to dry for one to two minutes.
- Step 3: For more coverage, apply another layer using the same technique and allow to dry for three to five minutes.
- Step 4: For 16-hour wear, apply a generous amount of Loose Setting Powder and leave on for up to 10 minutes before gently buffing off excess.
*Apply to clean, dry skin. Do not use moisturizer, sunscreen or any other products before applying Leg and Body Makeup